Pages 71-72 All the Places that were Hurt
4oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup soft light brown sugar (packed)
1 cup plain flour
3 large eggs
1 cup of chocolate chunks (optional)
1 teaspoon salt (if the butter is unsalted)
1 teasp. vanilla
A knife dipped in hot water makes cutting easier.
An underbaked brownie is better than overbaked.
To save an overbaked brownie: Serve with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and toasted, flaked almonds.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4
2. Line a 30x20cm roasting tin with foil, brush foil with melted butter.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate together over a low heat until smooth.
4. Add the sugars and beat with a wooden spoon, add the eggs and beat in with your spoon until no trace of egg is visible. Do the same with the flour.
5. When well combined, add the vanilla, salt ( if using) and fold in the chocolate chunks (if using.)
6. Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for twenty minutes in the pre-heated oven.
6. A toothpick should have fudgy crumbs sticking to it when testing for doneness - don't overbake!
7. Cool in the tin and cut into 16 large or 32 small pieces when completely cold.